Thursday

The Man Who Was Thursday



I finished reading "The Man Who Was Thursday". It's one of those books that I really thought I'd love. It was adventurous, absurd, and hilarious. I was really hoping for some grand theme of either peace and love, or total obliteration of mankind.

I really shouldn't say what happens but I can say that it didn't meet my expectations.

It was purchased for me by my boyfriend. It was recently released in the Penguin Great Books For Boys series. It's got a pretty damned cool cover.

The story is this: a poet and philosopher (also a police officer) infiltrates a secret society of anarchists, intent on blowing up the world in order to stop these plots. In the process, Syme (that's the character's name) picks up the most unlikely of allies and faces an onslaught of absurd realities until no-one knows who's who not to mention who is on who's side.

The plot twists are farcically absurd which made me keep going. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next! The characters are all dangerously similar in looks and demeanor. I can't tell you how many of them had pointy beards, though I remember one square cut one. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was all a delusion in Syme's mind, with himself being all of the twisted characters...though, that's not how it ends.

No comments: