Monday

4/6-Classical Poetry-or-Lost in Translation

I'm finding it difficult to find a classical poet (or a classical poem) I can use for this. I've looked through Ovid and just now through Horace. The particular selection I was looking for in Metamorphosis wasn't translated very prettily...in Horace I again found the translations lacking. I'm fairly certain Horace never used the phrase "Holy Moses" for example.

So, wearily I give you this poem from a book of classical love poetry (wherein a verse by Plautus describes kissing that is well and truly French.  Annoying.)

From your lips darts lovliness, flowers from your face.
Love fires from both your eyes, your hands shoot music's grace.
With your looks you rob their sight, their ears you stop with song.
Poor men!  Pursued from every side, the hunt will not last long.

Macedonius, Anthologia Palatina v 231

No comments: